Oct 3, 2015

Tyler's conversation with Dani Rodrik

This is the video of Tyler's conversation with Dani Rodrik:



A few points:

  1. Tyler's conversations are excellent.
  2. I was not convinced by the "fundamental" difference between agriculture and manufacturing as Rodrik put it.
  3. Even though Tyler pushed the issue of culture, Rodrik does not see it as an important explanation for economic development generally, and for adoption of manufacturing in particular. (Sachs is not persuaded about culture either, but Zingales is).
  4. About Vietnam: Rodrik: "I think you see the same about why is it that Vietnam has developed in the way that it has after it opened up its economy. I think if Vietnam was located in Latin America or Central America, I don’t think it would have been half the miracle that it was." Hard to make something with this statement. If Vietnam were in Central America it would not be Vietnam any more. In any case, does it imply that if Guatemala were in South East Asia, it would be an economic miracle given an opening of its economy? 
  5. What should change in graduate school education in economics? Both, Rodrik and Sachs shared deep concerns about the use of math for its own sake in the profession. Sachs recommended a new approach in the method of development economics, as I understood it, something akin to what anthropologists do. Rodrik indicated that spending a year in a developing country would help a lot to think abut a relevant research agenda. I agree with both . . . I would add more years to the economic development experience. The basic message is to get closer to real world problems. 
===

Hay tres puntos fundamentales, me parece, en esta entrevista que Tyler Cowen le hace a Dani Rodrik:
  1. La economia de países como Turquia no se han modernizado porque enfrentan dos limitantes principales, una de estructura y otra de agencia. Esto significa que existen condiciones iniciales (las interpreto como históricas, geográficas, etc). La otra es agencia, es decir el liderazgo que puede promover reformas exitosas y otras fallidas. 
  2. La educación económica, principalmente a nivel de postgrado debe redefinirse en el sentido que es deseable una aproximación del estudiante a problemas reales. La matematización de la economía per-se puede distraer el cometido principal del economista, que es resolver, o contribuir a resolver problemas sociales urgentes. 
  3. Rodrik parece poner mas peso a restricciones políticas y estructurales de la economía, y no tanto al factor cultura. 
La transcripción de la entrevista, en ingles, esta aquí.
===

1 comment:

  1. FINANCIAL BREAKTHROUGH

    Life indeed is GRACE, I'am Daan Sophia currently in California USA. I would like to share my experience with you guys on how I got a loan of $185,000.00 USD to clear my bank draft and start up a new business. It all started when i lost my home and belongings due to the bank draft I took to offset some bills and some personal needs. I became so desperate and began to seek for funds at all means. Luckily for me I heard a colleague of mine talking about this company, I got interested although i was scared of being scammed, I was compelled by my situation and had no choice than to seek advise from my friend regarding this very company and was given their contact number, getting intouch with them really made me skeptical due to my past experience with online lenders, little did i know this very Company "PROGRESSIVE LOAN INC. was a godsent to me and my family and the entire Internet World, this company has been of great help to me and some of my colleague and today am a proud owner of well organized business and responsibilities are well handled all thanks to Josef Lewis of (progresiveloan@yahoo.com).. So if really you are genuinely in need of a loan either to expand or start up your own business or in any form of financial difficulty, i advise you give Mr Josef Lewis of Progressive loan the opportunity of financial upliftment in your life Email: progresiveloan@yahoo.com OR Call/Text +1(603) 786-7565 and not fall victim of online scam in the name of getting a loan. thanks



    ReplyDelete